Carbon monoxide detectorBedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is supporting National Carbon Monoxide Awareness week (17th – 23rd November).  

Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuels, used by appliances in domestic and commercial properties, are not fully burned. These include:


Gas fires

Central heating systems

Water heaters 


Open fires

The build-up of CO can also be caused by poor ventilation, appliances that are not properly installed or regularly serviced and blocked chimneys and flues.  Using BBQ’s and outdoor heaters inside or in enclosed areas such as a tent or caravan can also result in dangerous levels of CO.

The symptoms of CO poisoning include:







It can cause brain damage, coma and death, sometimes in a matter of minutes.

Andy Martin, Area Community Safety Officer said: “To keep safe ensure that your boiler, cooker and all fuel burning appliances are serviced every year by a properly qualified engineer. Landlords are legally required to do this in their properties.  Keep chimneys swept and checked regularly and ensure that ventilation openings are not blocked.  CO alarms can cost under £20 and they could save your life.”