The 4th of May 2017 will see the introduction of a new national annual event, "The Firefighters Memorial Day", which is being introduced under Royal Charter by the Firefighters Memorial Trust.
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue is taking part in the commemorative event today to honour the bravery and sacrifice of those that have died in the line of duty. At midday the Service flag will be flown at half- mast outside the Service’s Headquarters in Kempston and all over Bedfordshire. Firefighters and support staff will observe a minutes silence followed by a salute to fallen Firefighters.
Paul Fuller CBE, Chief Fire Officer said’ “Today we are remembering our colleagues and friends who have given their lives in the line of duty to protect those in their communities. This is the first Firefighters’ Memorial Day and we hope that it will become an annual commemoration of the bravery and courage of Firefighters who every day do their utmost to keep people safe.”
The Flreflghters Memorial Trust
The Firefighters Memorial Trust is a charity dedicated to remembering and honouring the commitment of all United Kingdom Firefighters, particularly those who have died as a result of their duties. The trust achieves these aims by;
- Recording their names on the Firefighters Memorial, close to St Pauls Cathedral in London, and in the Trusts Book of Remembrance.
- Remembering and honouring them at the annual 'Firefighters Service of Remembrance' and wreath-laying at The Firefighters Memorial located close to St Paul's Cathedral in London.
- Remembering and honouring them by the creation and the presentation of the 'Memorial Medal', to their next of kin, (subject to criteria).
- Remembering and honouring all members of the Fire and Rescue Service, past and present, at the annual 'Service of Thanksgiving' at the 'Fire and Rescue Service
- Monument’ located within the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.
- Being the recognised organisation to provide the retired Fire and Rescue Service contingent at the Annual Service of Remembrance at The Cenotaph, on Remembrance Sunday, each November.
- Maintaining The Fire Service Chapel located within The Fire Service College, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire.
- Maintaining the 'Firefighters Memorial Heritage Collection', located within the Fire Service College, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire.
- Establishing "Firefighter Memorial Day", an event to take place annually from the 4lh of May 2017
Further information about the trust can be found in the website; http://firefightersmemorial.org.uk