Charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness has launched a national campaign to highlight the dangers of CO poisoning from barbecues and camping lamps, following the recent death of 14-year-old schoolgirl Hannah Thomas-Jones.
The launch event is hosted on behalf of the charity by Weaver Vale MP Graham Evans at the House of Commons today. The campaign is a joint venture between Carbon Monoxide Awareness and Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service, and is supported by a number of major retailers including Tesco, Morrisons, Homebase, B&Q and Dunelm Mill, all of whom have pledged to put up point-of-sale notices in their stores.
Lynn Griffiths, President of Carbon Monoxide Awareness, said: "Already this year there have been a number of camping fatalities and serious injuries resulting from people taking barbecue equipment inside their tents. These products are designed solely for outdoor use and should not be used in enclosed spaces such as tents, caravans, campervans or home conservatories.
"C0 is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. People often don't realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late. We shall be working with fire and rescue services across the UK to get educational and awareness packs to the UK holiday industry for the benefit of holiday-makers. We shall also be targeting campsite owners and their staff with information on how to recognise the presence of carbon monoxide in enclosed tented areas caravans. We've seen too much tragic loss of life and we want to avoid it in future."
She continued: "I would like every MP to warn their constituents about the possible dangers of carbon monoxide in the home and when going away on holiday. We don't want to see another death or injury from a barbecue during a music festival, Olympics or summer holidays. I am also campaigning to have carbon monoxide advice prominently displayed on the packaging of barbecues and tents and our politicians can be very influential in making this happen."
For more information visit www.covictim.org
Posted 10/07/2012 by firstname.lastname@example.org