A West End hair salon owned by celebrity hairdresser Daniel Hersheson has been ordered to pay £40,000 in fines and costs for ignoring fire safety laws following a successful prosecution by London Fire Brigade.

The court case followed a fire in Mr Hersheson's flagship boutique in which a member of staff suffered third degree burns when candles being used to create atmosphere lit her skirt and couldn't be be put until staff returned from different parts of the building as no fire alarm sounded.

Though LFB weren't called to the fire, a subsequent safety inspection identified many concerns including storage obstructing fire doors, inadequate fire detection and no fire risk assessment.

Hersheson pleaded guilty to two offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005  - failure to make a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment and failure to provide staff with adequate and regular safety training and sentenced to pay two fines of £10,000 and £20,000 costs.

LFB's Deputy Assistant Commissioner  for Fire Safety Regulation Lee Phillpotts said: "This verdict sends a clear message that if these responsibilities are ignored we will not hesitate in prosecuting and serious penalties are likely to be imposed.

"People should always be extremely careful when using candles. You should never leave them unattended and keep them well away from any flammable materials."

Posted 18/09/2012 by richard.hook@pavpub.com