Charity’s president makes plea to manufacturers of camping equipment
Lynn Griffiths, founder of the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, is calling for manufacturers of barbecue grills to put warning notices about the danger of carbon monoxide on them to stop the public from taking them into tents caravan or campervan.
The warning follows several recent tragedies in which campers have lost their lives after taking lit barbecues into tents or caravans for warmth. Carbon monoxide (CO) is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. People often don't realise that they are being overcome by fumes until it is too late.
Carbon Monoxide Awareness President Lynn Griffiths said: "No one should ever take a barbecue indoors. To do so is courting disaster and sadly there have been a number of tragedies and several near misses in recent years. Please don't let this happen again."
Exposure to the gas reduces the blood's capacity to carry oxygen, thereby causing the vital organs to fail. Early symptoms are similar to flu, but these worsen as more of the gas is breathed in and Carbon monoxide concentrations in the blood increase.
Anyone who suspects that they may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should turn off all appliances, go outside and seek help from a qualified healthcare professional.
Lynn will be holding a meeting on Friday 30th March in Halton, Cheshire to discuss carbon monoxide safety during caravan and camping events at music festivals and during holiday breaks.
The charity is already working with Cornwall Fire and Rescue who will be attending the meeting along with Cheshire, Cumbria and North Wales Fire and Rescue. Anyone representing a music festival. Camp and/or caravan sites are welcome to attend this meeting and should contact Lynn Griffiths by emailing LynnCoAwareness@aol.com for more information.
Lynn is keen to take the Be Carbon monoxide Aware Camping and Caravan Sites Register national due to the latest incident only last week. Lynn says that with the support of local and national press and media she can do this.
For more information visit www.monoxide-awareness.org.
Posted March 23rd, 2012 at 0835 by Andrew. Comment by emailing: email@example.com
Write a Comment