Mum on laptopCleveland Fire Brigade is warning of the dangers of leaving laptops unattended following a recent house fire in Hartlepool.

Firefighters from Stranton Station were called to a house in Ridlington Way at 2.36pm after a laptop that had been charging on a bed caught fire.

It is believed the airflow to the laptop’s cooling fan had been restricted by the bed causing the unit to overheat.

Celebrate the Service's best projects and collaboration at the 2015 Excellence in Fire and Emergency Awards - book your place at One Great George Street on 4 December:

Phil Lancaster, Director of Community Protection at Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “Fortunately no one was injured in today’s incident but we want to remind people to be careful with electrical appliances such as laptops.

“In particular, when laptops are plugged in we would urge people to ensure that the laptop’s cooling fan has an unrestricted supply of air at all times to prevent overheating.

“This is the second fire of this kind we have dealt with and in both cases laptops were left on beds while charging. Portable electrical devices such as laptops should be placed on well-ventilated surfaces and never left on beds or sofas.”

For more information on electrical safety visit