Three women, who have lost loved ones to carbon monoxide poisoning, are teaming up to raise awareness of the dangers of the 'silent killer'

'The CO Angels' are launching their awareness campaign at the Houses of Parliament on November 16 at an All Party Parliamentary Gas Safety Group.

Stacey Rodgers, from Huddersfield, said: "The CO Angels came about following long discussions between Vikki, Melissa and I about losing our loved ones. We were all so frustrated at losing Dom, Tony and Bob, as their deaths could have been easily prevented by a carbon monoxide alarm."

Vikki Courtman, from Peterborough, added: "Although the three of us have met under unfortunate circumstances, we hope to be able to use our experiences to help raise awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning and prevent more needless deaths."

Melissa Matthews, from Hertfordshire, said: "It's so important for us to help raise awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning. It affects everyone, and by working under the CO Angels umbrella, we hope to raise even more awareness and persuade people to install an audible alarm in their homes."

Barry Sheerman, MP for Huddersfield and Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Gas Safety, said: "I am full of admiration for the Carbon Monoxide Angels; the loss they have suffered and their tireless commitment to ensure more people are aware of the dangers of this silent killer is inspirational.

"Too many people are still unaware of just how dangerous carbon monoxide is and how many tragic deaths could have been so easily prevented. Every single home in this country should be fitted with an alarm and I hope this campaign goes someway to making that happen."

Working in partnership with Sprue Safety Products, a market leader in carbon monoxide safety products, CO Angels can now offer FireAngel seven year CO alarms that comply with European Standard BS EN 50291:2001 and carry the BSi Kitemark.

Nick Hickman from Sprue Safety Products comments: "We're proud to be supporting a group with such a passion for raising awareness. There is no question that CO alarms save lives. Everyone can be at risk from carbon monoxide, so if you're reading this and wondering whether you'd survive a CO scare, please make sure you get protected today. For the sake of yourself and your families, let's help prevent these tragic incidents occurring again."  

TV doctor Rob Hicks said: "I'm delighted to be supporting the CO Angels and the work they are doing in raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide, something you can't see, taste, or smell, which makes it a true silent killer. It's so important we are all aware of the risks and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, that we make sure fuel-burning appliances are regularly serviced, and that we fit a carbon monoxide alarm in our homes." 

To support the CO Angels in their campaign to raise awareness of carbon monoxide visit:  


Photo: TV Doctor Rob Hicks  


Posted November 12th.