Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service is working with The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents to promote awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

There have been several incidents in other parts of the country this year in which people have died whilst camping, but people can also be at risk in their homes.

Crew managers Mike Toop and Neil Tidball have been supplied with a stock of carbon monoxide alarms and will be promoting their use in the East Somerset area.

Tidball said: "You can't see the poisonous fumes, you can't taste them and you can't smell them and you won't realise you are being overcome by the fumes until it is too late."

ROSPA has been commissioned to highlight the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning to the general public and equip consumers with the skills to recognise the dangers and take steps to improve gas safety in their homes.

Firefighters will be supporting the campaign by fitting carbon monoxide alarms in the homes of people who are considered to be most at risk.

For more information visit www.dsfire.gov.uk

Posted 03/07/2012 by richard.hook@pavpub.com