Electrical blazes in South Yorkshire have dropped by a quarter, thanks to a fire service safety campaign.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue says it attended 33 electrical related house fires between May and July- 27 per cent fewer than the same months over the last three years.
The fall in incidents comes after a major safety campaign was launched by fire officers to warn the public about the dangers of everything from e-cigs to tumble dryers.
The campaign saw advertising vans carry safety messages to areas of South Yorkshire known to experience high numbers of house fires and radio advertisements warn people about the most common causes of electrical blazes.
Officers also encourage visitors to check the safety of their home electrics by completing a short, online checklist.
Head of community safety Trevor Bernard, said: “We’d like to thank the public for listening to our safety messages, but we’d urge people not to become complacent when it comes to house fires.
“The simple truth is that homes have more small electrical devices in them than probably any time in our history- from tablets and mobile phones, to e-cigarettes and games consoles. Unfortunately, we can’t get round everyone’s home to check the safety of their electrics for them. But by raising awareness of the biggest safety issues. we hope we can give people the knowledge to check their own electrics and hopefully prevent a serious fire.”
Electricity is involved in about two thirds of all accidental house fires, with household appliances the most common culprits.
Sometimes fires are caused by faulty goods, which could be small items like mobile chargers, or big things like washing machines and dryers.
Fires are also caused by people misusing electrical appliances, for example by leaving them plugged in for too long or covering them up allowing them to overheat.
The fire service has issued the following advice to stop electrical fires:
· Don’t buy cheap, unbranded chargers and make sure chargers are compatible to the device you are using
· Don’t leave things to charge overnight or beyond the recommended charging time. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
· Keep electrical items away from flammable materials when charging
· Don’t overload sockets– long, strip adaptors are safest, but can only take a total of 13 amps