Smart fire prevention system installed in luxury apartments.
What was the need?
One Crown Place is the latest high rise addition to London’s skyline. Home to 246 luxury apartments, high-quality office space, a boutique hotel and members’ club, it is located between the City of London and Shoreditch. Designed by internationally renowned architects Kohn Pederson Fox (KPF), the development features two prismatic towers of 28 and 33 storeys.
In the apartments, interior designers Bowler James Brindley specified custom designed kitchens by Italian company Arclinea featuring a dark lacquered finish with engineered stone worktops and glass fronted cabinets.
The Fire Safety regulations which apply to high-rise living accommodation meant that the open plan kitchens in each apartment would require a kitchen fire suppression unit to be fitted. These fire suppression units are highly visible with pipework, detection mechanisms and nozzles and need to be installed and maintained by a specialist technician. These types of systems activate when fire is detected and cause collateral damage with extinguishing chemicals being discharged. Therefore, the team of architects, designers and builders were open to the idea of an alternative, unobtrusive design-led fire prevention solution, such as the Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard.
50% of all accidental house fires start in the kitchen. However, the Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard provides a worry-free approach to managing cooker top safety without affecting cooking. The Stove Guard does this by alerting the user of pre-fire conditions and if no action is taken, it automatically turns off the electricity supply to the cooker. The intelligent heat sensor in the Kitchen Stove Guard tracks the rate of increasing temperature, as a steeply rising temperature is an indication of a developing fire hazard.
How It Works
The Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard is a device that works out when the temperature of cooking is too high (and therefore potentially hazardous) and turns off the source of ignition, effectively preventing kitchen fires before they start. This creates a safer home for the tenants and owners of flats and luxury apartments.
The Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard is a smart way to guard against kitchen fires because it responds before the formation of toxic gases and before a fire is ignited. It will even cut off the electricity supply if the hob has been left on accidentally – the setting for this can be tailored to individual installations. The cooker is reactivated simply by resetting the system once the cause of the alert has been investigated and controlled. The device is designed to work with all electric hobs.
The fitting of the Firechief Kitchen Stove Guard solution brought a number of benefits to the One Crown Place apartments:
- Sleek sensor design, sympathetic to the design led décor of the apartment kitchens
- Intelligent fire safety technology which prevents fires long before they can start. The heat sensor activates the cooker switch when pre-fire conditions are detected instead of reacting to extinguish a fire once it has actually begun
- Easier and simpler installation - undertaken by the electrical contractors already working on site rather than a specialist fire suppression installation engineer
- Continuous 24/7 protection for peace of mind. The device monitors and adapts to the occupiers cooking style
- Automatic fault diagnosis constantly analyses the Kitchen Stove Guard’s function when the hob is in use – no monthly testing
- Lower cost – less than half the cost of a fire suppression system
- No annual maintenance required
- Fulfils the requirements of Stove Guard Standard EN 50615
- 2 year warranty
Call: +44 (0) 330 999 0019