BBQThis Saturday Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS) will be taking its barbecue safety messages to the Downs in Bristol.

 Firefighters from Southmead Fire Station will be taking their fire engine to Stoke Road opposite the Water Tower on Saturday 6 August.

Between 1pm and 3pm firefighters will be giving out leaflets and advice to raise awareness of how to throw away a disposable barbecue safely. Their visit is part of a joint campaign between AF&RS and Bristol City Council to reduce the number of bin fires caused by disposable barbecues.

 Also on Saturday three dedicated barbecue bins are being installed so disposable barbecues can be thrown away safely. The three silver bins with white writing which look similar to oil drums will be located on the Sea Walls and Stoke Road, one opposite the Water Tower and one behind the café.

AF&RS is also working with retailers in the Clifton area which sell disposable barbecues and will be handing out the safety leaflet with each sale. Firefighter Chris Bellingham from Southmead Fire Station said: “During the summer months we see an increase in the number of people using disposable barbecues on the Downs.

“Sometimes when the barbecue is thrown in a bin and is not fully out it can cause a fire. We need to remind people that when they finish using it they should ensure the barbecue is fully out before discarding it.

“When you buy your disposable barbecue, remember to also buy a bottle of water too, so you can make sure it is fully out before throwing it away.”

If you’re using a disposable barbecue ensure it has cooled before putting it in the bin. To avoid starting a fire you should allow it to cool for several hours and then consider pouring water over it to make sure it’s out.

Only set up a barbecue on the stand provided by the manufacturers or on a stone surface, you risk starting a fire if you put it on wooden decking or grass.

Never use petrol or paraffin to start your barbecue as you risk causing a sudden burst of fire. Only use approved methods.