Gloucester Fire and Rescue Services have praised the quick-thinking and fire awareness of a teenage boy who prevent the spread of a house fire and helped evacuate all residents from the three-storey building.
After three appliances and 15 firefighters were able to put out the blaze on Sunday morning [21 July], Crew Commander Dean Evans said how the boy, who has not yet been named, helped ensure the fire did not become more serious.
According to Evans, by shutting the doors and restricting the oxygen to the flames before calling the fire service, the boy minimised the impact of the fire, who's cause is still being established.
One of those evacuated did suffer smoke inhalation and was taken to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital by paramedics, but has subsequently been released.
A spokesman for GFRS said: "Thankfully all residents had already evacuated the property and were being comforted by neighbours while crews tackled the blaze for two hours.
"Three domestic cats, one parrot and one budgie were also rescued by the service, all uninjured. The ground floor bore the brunt of the fire and the family [living there] have now been rehomed."
Posted 24/7/2012 by firstname.lastname@example.org