Liverpool John Moores University awarded carbon monoxide research grant
Liverpool John Moores University has been awarded a grant by the Gas Safety Trust (GST) to complete Phase 3 of its study into levels of carbon monoxide in the home.
The 12-month project forms part of the Carbon Monoxide National Monitoring Study, and builds on the work previously carried out by John Moores University and Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service. The aim is to create a standardised method of carbon monoxide data collection.
The project will reach an estimated 75,000 homes in the North West. Data collected in previous phases of the study have found that carbon monoxide levels in the home are much higher than previously expected, and the number of carbon monoxide alarms found in the home is much lower than anticipated.
Chris Bielby, GST Chairman, said the research will lead to better understanding of carbon monoxide in the home: “I am delighted that the Gas Safety Trust is funding this important project which will help us understand how we can better record incidence of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home, especially those at lower levels.
“Thanks to the actions of the gas industry, who have been proactive in their response to carbon monoxide prevention, fatalities in the UK have significantly declined over the last 40 years.
“Whilst we cannot be complacent about this, we should be pleased that this is the case and it is right that we look at carbon monoxide from all sources but especially poisoning that occurs at lower levels and over a sustained period of time.”
Project manager, Dr Andy Shaw, said: “I am pleased and delighted about the Gas Safety Trust award which can only reflect on the concentrated and collective efforts of academics at LJMU, five Fire and Rescue Services, Merseyside, Cornwall, Bedfordshire, South Yorkshire and Oxfordshire and the Council for Gas Detection and Environmental Monitoring (CoGDEM) to undertake a comprehensive CO investigations covering 75,000 households.”
Write a Comment