New national Leadership Framework launched for fire services
The National Fire Chiefs Council has today launched its new national Inspiring Leadership Framework, which aims to support and develop fire and rescue service leaders now and in the future.
It sets out and defines the leadership behaviours needed at every level in the Fire and Rescue Service. It also sets out some of the key requirements to support and develop people’s careers.
The work is launched following an extensive consultation in 2018. It has replaced the Personal Qualities and Attributes (PQAs) and puts in place a simpler model to support development and assessment, while providing a consistent approach to leadership and development, regardless of role or function.
It shows a clear commitment from fire and rescue services to support all staff, ensuring a fair and consistent approach to performance and promotion.
Ann Millington, Chair of NFCC’s Workforce Coordination Committee, said: “I am delighted the new Leadership Framework has now been launched.
“An essential part of leadership is being adaptable to the evolving requirements of a modern fire and rescue service. This means encouraging and developing resilient leaders who take responsibility for delivering continuous improvement in performance, while supporting others.
“We need leaders who are able to collaborate across our different functions, while being able to cross traditional boundaries with other organisations to achieve more efficient, effective and joined-up services. This difference is then ultimately experienced by our communities through improved service delivery.”
This is part of NFCC’s People Programme, which focusses on the Home Office reform agenda, the introduction of the HMICFRS and the development of professional standards.
The new framework supports NFCC’s People Strategy, which has six key areas for improvement:
- Strengthen leadership and line management to support organisational change and improved community outcomes
- Develop cultural values and behaviours which make the fire and rescue service a great place to work for all our people
- Develop ways of working that can respond to service needs
- Provide excellent training and education to ensure continuous improvement of services to the public
- Continue to support the health and well-being of all our people
- Strengthen our ability to provide good service by diversifying our staff and creating a fair and equal place to work
Write a Comment