North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a chemical incident at Standard Way industrial Estate in Northallerton, February 3, after receiving a call at 0557.

The incident was made up to make pumps 10 for additional gas tight suits, but was scaled down. Approximately 600 litres of adhesive in a container, which is overheated due to a chemical reaction, caused vaporisation. Crews cooled the container, reducing the effect. Crews had to work with other agencies, and specialists during the incident.

A 400m cordoned area was put in place at the time of the incident, which caused disruption to traffice in the area.

Although the risk to health is thought to be low, residents in the nearby area have been advised to keep their doors and windows closed.


Date posted: 04.02.11