Major high-rise incident report: Learning from The Cube
The fire at The Cube student accommodation in Bolton made the headlines in November 2019 as yet another high-rise, high-risk building failed. Ben Levy, Area Manager, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, reports.
On November 15, 2019 a fire broke out at The Cube student accommodation in Bolton, Greater Manchester. The speed with which the fire took hold and the devastating impact it had on the building was truly shocking, serving to further highlight the risks within the built environment and the national pattern of buildings failing in fires. These types of incidents continue to present challenges to members of the public, fire and rescue services (FRSs) and other key responding and responsible agencies.
Alongside Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) firefighters, residents of The Cube displayed courage, integrity and community spirit as they found themselves involved in a major incident.
Partners from North West Fire Control (NWFC), Greater Manchester Police, North West Ambulance Service, Bolton Council, and the University of Bolton also responded with courage and commitment to support operational firefighting, strategic decision making, and the evacuation and relocation of residents.
Read the full article on our digital issue, pages 29-32.
Not yet a subscriber? Sign up to FIRE magazine today from just £30 per year.
Write a Comment